Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Movin' On Up

I AM NOT AN INTERN ANYMORE!!!

Today was my last day as an intern! I am (almost) officially ready to practice Music Therapy. As soon as I take -and pass- my board exams. Graduation is Saturday and then my undergrad career is officially over. How strange. I can remember that first week of my internship- feeling overwhelmed, scared, intimidated, excited. Much like that first week of school way back when. My, how life has changed.

In celebration, I've decided to actually write a real blog post. One with details and everything. I wish I had pics... but I just don't. Sorry world.

The past week has been filled with goodbyes. I have had to say goodbye to the 35 kids I work with! That's a lot of goodbyes! For the most part, they went smoothly, no tears or tantrums. The kids were ok with it, too. I did have one student refuse to sing goodbye, one wrap himself around my legs, one "Love You" from a mostly non-language user, lots of hugs, and even some "I'll miss you"s. I'm not typically one to get super emotional, especially in front of people I'm not super close to, but I will say I've teared up in the car a few times after those sessions. I wasn't quite prepared for having some of those kids mean as much to me as they do now. But when you see students make progress- use language, grow skills, laugh, sing, play... It's hard to separate yourself. These students, and I hope many, many more, are part of who I am. They have changed me and molded me in ways unimaginable. I can't imagine having done my internship anywhere else.

Now I'm (sort of) in the process of packing up to return home. I can't say I'll really miss living in a college town, but I will miss those people I got to know and count as friends here. I was an outsider who was invited into a small part of Virginia Tech for a short while. And even if I don't have any idea what the point of the game of Corn Hole is, I'm glad to say that I have friends here and will count it among the many places I call home.

This past nine months, I have discovered I can live without Diet Coke. And eating out. Which very much helped in the almost 40 pounds I've dropped in the past year. Now for those last 12 pounds to make 50 and to KEEP IT OFF. Wish me luck. I don't want to go back to where I was. Ever. Unless I'm about to birth a child.

Still single. Shocking, I know. But I have faith. That guy is out there somewhere. I just don't know where yet. If anyone out there has any idea, please clue me in.

We're finally settled in the new house. The grass is growing and the driveway is poured. My car is parked behind the house in it's own spot. Obviously, it's time for me to move on.

Now I have to find a job! Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment