Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Validation

It's such a great feeling when you're doing what you know you're called to do. Today, I had a Music Therapy group with two students at my mom's school. They were two adorable little boys who are 4 and 5 years old- who isn't cute when they're that age? It was such a great experience! I was warned Monday that we might only make it 15 to 20 minutes of sitting and attending, and that's fine with me- new things can be hard to take sometimes and the 4 year old attention span is short enough already- but these guys not only attended for a full 30 minutes, but after I was done I pulled out my Ocean Drum and you would have thought I just pulled the moon from the sky! They sat a "shared" it back and forth for at least another 15 minutes. I say "shared" because the turn taking was not volunteered... Haha. The only thing that could have made the session any better would have been to get paid for it, but we're taking it one step at a time. I have to convince the "Powers that Be" that MT is beneficial and necessary and if that means not getting paid for services for a little while, then so be it. I am quickly gaining support with the Special Ed teachers and support staff, and that's the first step!
I really wish I could share with the world some of the pictures the teacher sent me- so sweet! One picture is just too cute- he could be the poster child for Music Therapy! Alas, I have a Code of Ethics and that little thing called "the law" I have to adhere to. Ah well. Just picture, if you will, a child totally engaged and excited about the music he's creating. =)

1 comment:

  1. So encouraging! I have that picture in my head. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete