Monday, May 31, 2010

What's in a Word?

So, I leave for Italy soon, and on these fun-filled trips across the pond, a certain member of the faculty at my school and I like to see who can use an absurd word the most. Last time was "Sasquatch" and I won, thank you very much. This trip does not yet have a fun word, but I'm looking for a good one. A few contenders are the following:

Askew, disarrayed, or disorderly.

 Gobbledygook

A 20th century term used to describe nonsensical language like that used by government bureaucrats

Cahoots

Partnership; comradeship.

Vaccimulgence

The act of milking of cows

Defenestration

A noun meaning the throwing of a person or thing out a window

Higgledy-Piggledy

Askew, without prior planning, or every which way

 Mustachioed

The state of having a mustache

 Monkeyshines

Useful when "shenanigans" just doesn't cut it

 Monkeyshines

Useful when "shenanigans" just doesn't cut it

Pogonotrophy

Fancy word for the cultivation of a beard

Prestigiator

Fancy word for a juggler.

in other news, Christie and Ben came for a lovely visit. They make me smile. =)


2 comments:

  1. logorrhea
    -The excessive flow/a spewing of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh yes cattywampus is out because this word is already used too much...and it's a regular part of my own vocabulary. However, defenestration is always a fun word to use.

    ReplyDelete